- To remember that life is too short for bad books, bad music, bad drivers, and bad sex.
- To age gracefully, especially in the car when I’m road raging against old people driving. That could be me one day.
- To live by the words, “We work to work to live, not live to work” – enjoy the finer things in life
- Especially those amazing meals at the Ravenous Pig and the Rusty Spoon
- To remember that someone took my headphones from my cubicle and replaced them with broken ones. I will never forget this moment because I have been violated in my own work space. I was too trusting, but no longer. I will find this person and there will be retribution.
- to TRY to remember that holding grudges is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. But, until I get over it, I am holding onto this grudge like white on rice. Fuck this tattoo on my wrist that says “Let It Go” (BEFORE Frozen, effing Disney…) Give me copious amounts of this poison because baby, I’m in for the long haul.
I’ll update as to when I get over this grudge…soon?
This is going to sound weird, but I have a lot of time on my hands at my new job. It’s crazy isn’t it? I don’t know what quite to do with all this free time. I find that after I finish my to-do list; I spend most of my time reading the news and actually discovering new news sites to read: mainly slate and the daily beast. Sometimes, I revel in working the desk because I actually do stuff. However, today at the desk tried my patience real hard. I blame most of it on being grumpy hungry or hangry. I truly wonder what my colleagues are doing at their desk. Some of them are in charge of time consuming tasks and I sometimes envy that. The most time consuming thing I had to do was to create a new manual and that in itself was not very difficult. All I had to do was copy and paste some words and create handouts which also did not take me very long. I imagine once I am more involved in programming or once I overcome my anxiety of it, I’ll be more likely to be busy? I certainly hope so.
It makes wonder if I should take part in other committees to use up my time. I try teaching myself things, but what’s the point if I’m not going to use them? I am hoping this is not me being disenchanted with my new line of work already. I find that I am trying to challenge myself, but some days I am just not that into it. I want to help people, but it just seems like I am just sitting in my cubicle trying to fill my time with useful things to do.
Hopefully, it’ll get better.
It’s time! Time for another update I mean. I’ve been slacking AGAIN. But here we go, back in December I completed my Masters in Library and Information Studies from Florida State University. WOOT! All done. No more horrible group work, no more annoying online crap, now onto paying my bills. HA. Not. I didn’t walk as I saw that to be completely pointless and I didn’t want to go to Tallahassee for it. The last couple semesters were pretty much torture for me as I was so over school and wanted to find a better paying job. Which leads me to the next part of my update…
I got a job! Like a real paying, not working late at night, a regular 9-5, full time LIBRARIAN job. YES! So soon after I graduated? I know. I couldn’t believe it. I chalk up a lot if not all of it to luck. It just had to be the right time and right place. A week before my 6mo probation popped up, the full time librarian position became available. I expected this to be a learning experience. Go through the process, the assessments, if I was lucky enough, the interview. It was all wham-bam-thank you-ma’am. Within about 1.5 month I received the offer and started promptly two weeks later. Thank my lucky stars, as I wasn’t going to get a loan to help pay the bills; but had now acquired a full time paying job. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not like I’m a rich bitch where I’m making it rain. I’ve been trying to be the responsible adult and catch up on bills, save money for upcoming trips, and saving up for another event. Which leads up to the last little ditty in my update…
I’m engaged! Yeah, you heard that right. Dave asked me to marry him on Christmas Eve. I’ve been telling everyone it happened Christmas day so I don’t have to explain too much. We had to go travelling the next day, so we he didn’t want me to feel rushed. Safe to say, I said yes and I am completely in love with the ring and of course Dave. 😉 I’ll probably start planning sometime after April as we have three weddings to attend and I hope I’ll get some ideas then. The details I’ve figure out is to have it sometime in the Fall in 2015. I think September or October is a safe bet. As of right now, I’m doing research on budgeting, planning, venues, and colors. The only colors I came up with are grey, green, maybe brown, and some light purples. Obviously I need to trim that down a bit, but it’s just too hard and time consuming.
I’ll try to update more as I have more time on my hands. It is a good amount of sitting and being on the computer.
Don’t let a bad day , make you feel like you have a bad life
I think this goes hand in hand with last week’s quote of not allowing your mood to dictate your manners. This reminds of a couple Saturdays ago where I allowed my mood to dictate my manners and in turn, made me get into a fight with my boyfriend about me feeling like my life is crap. Which it is not! Not even close. I really have to let go of things sometimes…all the time…more than I do.
I was late posting again because I was actually productive! I was writing cover letters for two jobs I am applying for at UF. I also applied for another job at UF as part of an OPS team. :Crossing fingers: This new job at the county library has made me realize how much I don’t like it. It has reaffirmed my decision to focus on academic libraries. But, I’ll stick with it, and who knows, maybe I’ll enjoy it a bit more than I do now. I blame it on waking up at 745am three mornings out of the week! And tomorrow, I have to BE at a meeting at 8am. What malarkey!
Don’t let your mood dictate your manners.
I had a paper due on Sunday and completely forgot about Quote me Sunday. I had a slight meltdown at work, and I unfortunately allowed my emotions to take over; I basically acted like a Bee Eye Tee Cee H. So, this week, this quote will be my mantra.
So, that new year’s resolution failed…like epically failed. Well, we’ll try again. I am perpetually updating this blog. Let’s start:
- Dave got a new job. He was super unhappy with BKC, and when Hiro offered him the GM job at Dfly, he jumped into it with open arms. Ok, probably, not with open arms. It’s Dave we’re talking about here. After multiple meetings with the higher ups, he is 2-3 weeks away from completing training and becoming the big man. He is super happy and that’s all that matter. It’s his dream to open his own restaurant, doing this GM gig will probably help more than he knows.
- I’m on the hunt for a new job. If one remembers, when Dave took the GM position at Rolls n’ Bowls, I went over the Dfly. It was just healthier for our relationship if I didn’t work with him. We can chalk most of that to me being super immature and being mad at him for telling me what to do. HELLO!? I’m your girlfriend not your employee, I thought. Wrong. So, now that Dave is the Gm at Dfly, I’ve been interviewing at the UF library and county libraries. It looks promising, but I don’t want to jinx myself just yet. I’m little scared to try something new. I’ve been with Dfly for the last 5.5 years, and that place is my security blanket. Everyone loves me, what if the new place doesn’t? I would say I’m just a tad worried, but not overly stressing out. I am torn between academic libraries and public libraries. I believe in what public libraries are doing, however, I feel like I’ll be more challenged in an academic library setting. I’m confused, and time is running out for me to decide where my career path should be heading.
- I am taking summer classes this year. As much as I dislike summer classes, these two classes I’m taking are only offered in the summer. The two classes I’m taking are graphic novels and storytelling. I am enjoying both classes so far, as these are the most fun and least technical classes I’ve ever taking in my MLIS career.
- Pearl is back from Italy and is in love. She says she wants to move to Buenos Aires next year…and Dave’s sister is moving to B.A next year too. If we go visit both our sisters, we’d have to bring Pauline along so we can all be together in South America!
- Speaking of Pauline…she got into pharmacy school! She’ll be attending Midwestern University in Chicago. My parents are worried, but I am just so happy and proud of her. I knew she could do it! Making Pearl and I look bad…haha. I know my baby sister is all grown up and she’ll do great and make us even prouder than we are now.
Well, that’s it for now. I’ll try to blog more often…I’m on the internet for a long periods of time everyday; might as well do something useful with my time.
So, we all know about my trials and tribulations about becoming a teacher. I went through that long process and money to find out that I have to take tests to become fully certified. No problem there. I expect to be tested to make sure that I am sane enough to do this. Now, I find out that there are hiring freezes for teachers in the state of Florida. Well, good job there! Man, this sucks. So, my next plan is I am getting into grad school for education. Some of you may be saying that’s a bad idea because how would that help me? I would be prolong (once again) my entry to the job world. Stats say that grad school applications increases as the economy goes down. I am a part of that stat. I have been studying for the GRE in the process and it’s going ok. I’m doing a chapter a week and studying vocab during.
I need to find a better job because I am working less shifts at work because we are overstaffed. I am already pretty mad over the situation in the hostess department. I know I shouldn’t be mad because it’s my career and I really shouldn’t care; but I do care. I put a lot of effort in whatever job that I do and I do care a good amount. At this moment in time, I wish I didn’t though. I keep on getting taken advantage and sometimes I feel pretty much useless and stupid. I hate feeling like that and I don’t think anyone else does either. And because I haven’t been making as money as I normally do, I cannot afford the luxury of baking as much. I know, sad. I can only hope someone gets voted off the island (not me), and/or find a better job. Who knows. The plan is to be out of Gainesville by the time the lease ends (July?). I can only hope I don’t shoot myself in the foot by moving and not have a concrete plan by the time I get there.
Let’s up for the best and more baking!